Tuesday 13 December 2022

Renewed my PMP certificate for another 3 years! My Thoughts!


I renewed my PMP certificate today for another 3 years. It is my 3rd year of being a PMP and I still remember that foggy afternoon after passing a 4 hour highly guarded exam in a small soundproof booth of the Prometric Testing Center. Back then getting a PMP certificate was the ultimate accomplishment for a project manager. Now after years of experience my perception of the world, including how I interpret the PMP status, has matured. And while project success factors haven't really changed (Time, Cost, and Quality), the ways we manage projects are quite versatile.


For those non-PMs out there, a Project Manager with a PMP credential has 3 years to earn 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) in a variety of ways like attending organizational meetings, volunteering, working in the profession, taking classes, and listening to podcasts. As I went through this 3-year cycle, some of my interests changed. At first, I was more and more interested in organizational agility and acting as a servant leader. Then, I got interested in product management and program management.

What are my lessons learned?

  • Keep learning consistently.
  • Engage in a variety of activities of your interest to keep things refreshed.
  • Plan and Get in a habit of checking and updating calendars for upcoming PMI meetings.
  • Talk to your PM friends to find out what they have been doing. You may discover something new and different.
  • As I think about the next 3-year cycle of learning, staying current, and earning those PDUs, I will continue to focus on program management-related topics for learning to improve my business acumen. 

Request you to kindly let me know in the comments what you do to achieve the set target of your learning.

#projectmanagement #professionaldevelopment #pmprenewal #learning #manoharprasad #manoharprasadin

No comments:

Post a Comment